Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sur le web j'ai vu cette phrase de temps en temps:

Ta farme tu ta yeule !

Je crois que ça veut dire en français normal:

Ferme ta bouche !

Mais évidemment, la première phase n'est pas du français habituel, c'est une tournure de phrase québecoise. Je ne comprends pas complètement la phrase; quelqu'un peut-il me dire pourquoi cela a la même signification que la traduction en français standard ?

I've seen the following phrase on the web from time to time:

Ta farme tu ta yeule !

I think it means, in standard French:

Ferme ta bouche ! [shut your mouth!]

But obviously, the former isn't standard French, but a quebecois turn of phrase. I don't really understand the phrase, so could someone show me how it carries the same meaning as the latter translation into standard French?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

If we exclude the stronger phonetic stuff we get:

"t'a fermes-tu, ta gueule?"

short for

"tu (l)a fermes-tu, ta gueule?"

Which amounts to something like "Will you shut it already?!" given that this sounds like it was screamed angrily (and would still be pretty damn rude), I wouldn't feel bad about adding an f-bomb in the English translation either. Ferme-la! or la ferme! would be the more neutral forms. (I've never seen bouche show up in this context.)

As for the phonetics, it is common for /l/ to drop in pronouns if the vowels isn't a schwa. (Cf. /i/ for /il/). This promptly elides into "t'a". /ɛr/ or /ər/ to /ar/ is a very common sound change in informal Quebec French (e.g. charcher), while -tu is an emphasizer in questions.

I'm not sure what's the backstory of /yeule/ for gueule, but it's a standard lower register pronunciation, and generally palatalisation in front of a front vowel is hardly surprising.

share|improve this answer
The general explanation is quite good, I mean for the phonetics, but I'm a bit disappointed by your standard french version. Tu vas la fermer ta gueule ? is closer to the quebecois meaning, and still very idiomatic. –  Romain VALERI Jun 20 at 8:03

I was looking for a register-neutral version. I have relatively limited version of European informal/slang French. –  Circeus Jun 20 at 8:31

No problem, it was just a suggestion for improvement on the standard french slang part. And I'm not myself a quebecois slang expert neither, I just happen to love Les colocs and Loco Locas, and both tend to make heavy use of that register. –  Romain VALERI Jun 20 at 10:14

"Tu la ferme"---> "T'a ferme" in France also, or only Quebec ? –  hunter Jun 25 at 11:26

I'm pretty sure this (specifically the elision of la's "L") is mostly a Quebec thing. –  Circeus Jun 25 at 14:49
add comment

Being a French Canadian, I think I can help on that.

T'a fermes-tu ta yeule?

Between this sentence and your "France French" translation, the only real difference is yeule. This is deformed word from gueule, which means an animal mouth (pejorative for a human).

T'a is a shortened tu la. This is the same as Je suis which often is shortened to J'suis, Chuis or even Chu like in this next sentence :

Chu ben tanné d'écouter ses jokes plattes.

Fortunatly for foreigners, Quebec made a website that explains all of our Quebecism : http://www.immigrer.com/page/outils_dictionnaire-des-expressions-quebecoises.html

Good luck!

share|improve this answer
Tu la fermes ta gueule? ou La fermes-tu ta gueule? c'est standard, la répétition *Tu* la fermes-*tu* ta gueule?, c'est pour autant que je le sache un québécisme. –  Un francophone Jun 20 at 14:38

@Unfrancophone, en effet, la répétition vient... marteler le message au destinataire, si je puis dire. Il en augmente le poids. Au Québec, tu n'entendras jamais Tu la fermes ta gueule? ni La fermes-tu ta gueule?, excepté si la personne imite un Français de France, même si cette phrase est grammaticalement incorrecte (la phrase québécoise). –  Sifu Jun 20 at 15:10
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.