Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a sentence in my French workbook which has to be converted into impératif and the highlighted words should be replaced by personal pronouns. The sentence is:

Tu me présenteras ton adjoint.

I guess this means 'You will present me as your assistant' or 'You will present me your assistant.'

So is the given sentence correct and if yes, what does it mean?

share|improve this question
This seems like a case of the XY problem, since I think you actually want to know about pronouns and how to turn a declaration into an order. –  Kareen Jun 25 at 20:55

1 Answer 1

The second answer is correct: “You will present me your assistant.”

To put it simply, in the sentence:

Tu me présenteras ton adjoint.

there is no particle that would play the role of “as” in the French sentence.

The sentence corresponding to

You will present me as your assistant.

would be

Tu me présenteras comme ton adjoint.

share|improve this answer

so the imperatif of that (using personal pronouns) would be: présentez-moi te! –  user2468338 Jun 25 at 13:56

First answer could also be translated this way: “Tu me présenteras en tant qu'adjoint (/ en tant que ton adjoint)“. @user2468338: No, it's: “Présentez-moi cette personne.” or, with a pronoun, “Présentez-le moi (/ Présentez-la moi)”. To ask someone to introduce himself/herself: “Présente-toi” (or “Présentez-vous”). –  Qeole Jun 25 at 14:12

No. Présentez is imperative for the second person plural; you want second-person singular. Also the subject of the original sentence (Tu) disappears in the imperative : for example, "Tu parles fort" becomes "Parle fort", nothing more. Hope this helps. –  Jhyn Jun 25 at 14:13

so what is the correct answer? –  user2468338 Jun 25 at 14:38
The correct answer to your exercise would be "Présente-le moi". –  Alexis Pigeon Jun 25 at 15:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.