Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I came about this beginning of a sentence :

Les Français ont retrouvé le travail depuis […]

When I wanted to check the meaning of retrouvé, I found many meanings. What does it mean in the context of the above sentence?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Édouard, Laure, Zistoloen, M42, Patrick Sebastien Jul 13 at 12:29

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Please look up the meaning of words or expressions in a dictionary first. If you did so and found nothing satisfactory, mention that in your question. Do give context for where you heard or saw the word." – Édouard, Zistoloen
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I edited your French :) –  Elena Mellor Jul 10 at 13:20
Where did you check, and what are the meanings you think might fit? –  Stéphane Gimenez Jul 10 at 13:45
More context is necessary to appreciate the meaning of the word. Give at least the complete sentence from which you have extracted these word. –  Laure Jul 10 at 16:19

This few words don't really mean anything. It could be that the le is wrong, or that a word is missing after le but only the full context could bring you a hopefully correct answer. –  Laure Jul 10 at 16:24

1 Answer 1

In this kind of context it would be mean that the French are back from holidays and getting ready to go back to work. The same verb is used when talking about kids going back to school: "les enfants/écoliers ont retrouvé le chemin de l'école".

share|improve this answer

Retrouvé sounds a little weird to me, however (though perfectly understandable). I would use repris in both cases. –  fkraiem Jul 10 at 14:01
Repris is a good synonym I could use to replace retrouvé. –  Elena Mellor Jul 10 at 14:37

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.