Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

In the following sentence:

Je n'ai pas

What is the word "n'ai" composed of?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Laure, Stéphane Gimenez Jul 11 at 15:56

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Basics of avoir. Please check before you ask a question. –  Laure Jul 11 at 15:38

And about the negative : french-linguistics.co.uk/grammar/negative.shtml –  Laure Jul 11 at 15:43

1 Answer 1

Je n'ai pas. | Je ne ai pas. (Though in French this sentence is wrong, "ne ai" always contract into "n'ai")

Same as in English :

I don't have. | I do not have.

Or (Without the do)

I haven't. | I have not.

share|improve this answer

When have you ever heard or read "Je ne ai pas"? –  Elena Mellor Jul 11 at 16:01

@ElenaMellor Read OP's question. He asked : What is the word "n'ai" composed of?. I wrote the sentence to show that this was composed of NEand AI. In the same way that the sentence Je ne mange pas is written. Do you understand? –  Sifu Jul 11 at 16:45

What @ElenaMellor means, and I agree with her, is that we cannot write anything that is wrong, knowing it is wrong without signalling it is wrong. The way you wrote your answer signifies that Je n'ai pas equals Je ne ai pas. Of course we know you know it is not correct, but how can a beginner in French know if you don't tell them? People who come here to learn French, must not be mislead by wrong explanations. And comments are there to point out at wrong answers among other things. –  Laure Jul 11 at 18:22

@Laure, je suis d'accord avec toi. J'ai ajouté une petite phrase pour expliquer que ne ai ne se dit pas. Si c'est encore nébuleux, j'enlèverai ma réponse puisque la question est un dupliqué de toute façon. –  Sifu Jul 11 at 18:27

Dans une réponse, pour indiquer que ce qu'on écrit n'est pas correct ou agrammatical on peut utiliser le html <del>texte barré</del> mais ça ne marche pas dans les commentaires ! On peut aussi mettre un *devant la phrase fausse et expliquer en note. Chacun son truc, tu verras à l'usage ce que tu préfères. –  Laure Jul 11 at 18:28

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.