Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I noticed that some people from Saint Étienne tend to pronounce "genre" like "jarre". Are there other words with such pronunciation alteration in Saint Étienne and around?

share|improve this question
Peux-tu préciser un peu ta question ? S'agit-il de la prononciation de la consonne /ʒ/ ou de la voyelle, la voyelle /ɑ̃ / étant normalement nasalisée mais que le français méridional (sous l'influence de l'occitan) a tendance à prononcer comme une voyelle orale /a/. –  Laure Jul 14 at 10:45

@Laure Prononciation de la consonne /ʒ/. –  Franck Dernoncourt Jul 14 at 15:38
Le /ʒ/ en consonne d'attaque de ces deux mots est la prononciation normale. J'avoue que je n'ai jamais entendu autre chose, même en dehors de Saint-Étienne. –  Laure Jul 14 at 15:59

@Laure Sorry I didn't mean the consonne, but the voyelle /ɑ̃ /. Regarding the pronunciation of the first consonant in genre, I don't remember whether it was the same as in jarre. –  Franck Dernoncourt Jul 14 at 16:03

2 Answers 2

In the south, French people have the tendency to open their vowels much more. Another example would be "un bouquet de roses" : in the north and centre, we say something closer to "rôôôses", whereas in the south, you will almost hear "rases". It is just part of the southern accent.

share|improve this answer

To add to Leni's answer, natives of Saint-Etienne and the Loire département often have a specific accent that sounds a bit like some Southern accents but with longer, more twisted /ɑ̃/ vowels among other differences.

You can have a taste of it in this parody interview of Loire-born former national football team coach Aimé Jacquet, although it might not be a 100% accurate reproduction.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.