Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have written the following conversation. I would like to know if it is true both of grammar and conversation:

A: Bonjour!
B: Bonjour! comment ca va?
A: je vais bienne, et toi?
B: moi aussi, ca va bienne. ou etiez-tu?
A: j'etais dans l'universite.
B: Quand?
A: Cinq heures et demis de l'apres-midi. 
B: salute! 
A: salute!

It is worth mentioning that I am an absolute beginner in French...

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Laure, Patrick Sebastien, Zistoloen, Édouard, Stéphane Gimenez Jul 15 at 21:45

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "We are not a text translation or proofreading service. If you're translating into French, be specific about the word or expression you want help with, and explain the meaning and provide context. If you're asking about the correctness of a sentence, tell us which specific word or construction you are unsure about." – Laure, Patrick Sebastien, Zistoloen, Édouard, Stéphane Gimenez
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

If you want corrections, you might like to try lang-8.com. You can get corrections there for free, and in turn you can correct the work of others who are learning your own native language. –  dangph Jul 15 at 3:23

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I have voted to close this as "off-topic" because we aren't a proof reading service, however, because I sympathize with how hard it can be to obtain resources as a beginner, I will correct it and explain why certain corrections are needed. Therefore, even if it is closed, you will have some help. I recommend using the bonpatron website for corrections. It is free. If you are willing to spend money, Antidote is a much better program.

Original text:

A: Bonjour!
B: Bonjour! comment ca va?
A: je vais bienne, et toi?
B: moi aussi, ca va bienne. ou etiez-tu?
A: j'etais dans l'universite.
B: Quand?
A: Cinq heures et demis de l'apres-midi. 
B: salute! 
A: salute!

Corrections (in bold):

Note that each correction will have a number in parenthesis at the end of each correction. Use this as a footnote to refer to my notes which come after the text.

A: Bonjour !(1)

B: Bonjour !(1) comment ça(3) va ?(1)

A: Je(2) vais bien(4), et toi ?(1) Ça va bien, et toi ?(5)

B: Moi(2) aussi, ça(3) va bien(4). (2)(3) étais(3)(4)(6)-tu ?(1)

A: J'étais(2)(3) à(7) l'université(3).

B: Quand ?(1)

A: Cinq heures et demie(4) de l'après(3)-midi.

B: Salut (4) ! (1)

A: Salut (4) ! (1)

1. When writing international Standard French, a space is required in between the word and an exclamation/question mark.
  2. Capitalization is necessary here. Sometimes it is not after an exclamation mark in French. See this link for rules.
  3. You have left out the accent needed for various letters. This becomes a spelling error.
  4. These words were spelled incorrectly. Look them up in a dictionary if you are unsure.
  5. I corrected what you wrote but crossed it out because one would normally not respond with je vais bien to comment ça va. This response is more normal for comment vas-tu.
  6. Incorrect verb conjugation choice. Use Verbix.com for online conjugations of verbs if you don't have a bescherelle.
  7. Incorrect use of preposition. Here is a link with lessons for this.
share|improve this answer
This really helped me. And I'm learning French just because I love it. Thanks again –  Mostafa Talebi Jul 15 at 10:12

I would advise you use the application Antidote (or some other advanced spell + grammar checker) for this kind of basic check:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
bonpatron is a good service that is also free. However, I would say Antidote is the best, however costly. –  Patrick Sebastien Jul 15 at 9:23

Thanks, I didn't know this website! –  Franck Dernoncourt Jul 15 at 14:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.