Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English when I want to see the evolution of the use of a term over time, I can use Google as shown below. Is there any similar website or program for French?

enter image description here

share|improve this question

I don't see any other website than google... Do you know how those plots are done? Which data are collected in order to obtain this, this have my curiousity :) –  Flugueubluck Jul 15 at 15:34

@Flugueubluck I would guess using Google Books data, but that's just a guess! –  Franck Dernoncourt Jul 15 at 15:35

That's really interesting, thank you for sharing this, let me search a little bit in french now ! –  Flugueubluck Jul 15 at 15:38

Est-ce que c'est ce genre de graphique dont tu parles ? Clique sur l'image pour aller le voir sur le web. –  Laure Jul 15 at 17:51

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I just found it on the Google Books page. Just change "Corpus" and you'll be able to choose the language that you want.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=bonjour&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=19&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cbonjour%3B%2Cc0

share|improve this answer

Oh right, the Ngram Viewer! I totally forgot it gave the history. That's great, thanks! –  Franck Dernoncourt Jul 15 at 15:44

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.