Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I'm doing the Pimsleur method. I can't figure out the difference between the three forms: l'essence vs. d'essence vs. de l'essence

When does one use which, and how can one apply these rules more broadly to other words?

(I know that de l'essence is supposed to be "some gas" and l'essence is supposed to be just "gas" ... but in the examples in Pimsleur, there seem to be some exceptions where it's not so strict. I think it has to do with how the French say "de" even when they don't explicitly mean "some".)

Thanks.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Laure, Patrick Sebastien, Alexis Pigeon, Zistoloen, M42 Jul 26 at 7:48

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Welcome to French Language. Please look at this question this and its answers, They should answer your question. If they don't then you should rephrase your questio, giving the examples that confuse you and saying what is not clear to you in these examples. –  Laure Jul 16 at 6:08

"but in the examples in Pimsleur, there seem to be some exceptions where it's not so strict" -> Care to give some examples? We can explain in detail in a few examples. –  Jhyn Jul 16 at 7:48

1 Answer 1

Some examples:

« L'essence coûte cher. »

« Nous n'avons plus d'essence. »

« Nous devons acheter de l'essence. »

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.