French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Recently, I've been learning French language and I've noticed that many words in English have similar words in French, for example the word “example” in English and the word “exemple” in French. If I want to use this rule to guess the meaning of some French words by comparing to their English brothers, I have to be careful about the counterexamples, the words that are spelled similarly in French and in English, but have very different meaning in each language. For example, the word “comment” in English and in French.

Therefore I'd like to know: Is there any (preferably online) list of such (counterexample) words in French & English?

Of course, I don't need an exhaustive list of all counterexamples of the above rule. A short list of very commonplace words would be more useful.

share|improve this question
The term you are looking for is "faux-amis" ("false friends" in English). From the Wikipedia article, you could have found this list for example. – Alexis Pigeon Jul 22 '14 at 7:49
Two of the most comprehensive lists of French false cognates (faux-amis in French) : and – Laure Jul 22 '14 at 8:13
Are you looking for a list of false cognate (words which are close in orthographe but have different meanings, such as “comment”) or a list of words with the same meaning, but different orthographe (such as “example/*exemple*”? These are two different things. – Édouard Jul 22 '14 at 9:31
Good luck with gallicisms (this is the exact word for "false-friends" coming from the French language)! (Gallicisme en français) – Sifu Jul 22 '14 at 12:31
@Sifu IIRC, gallicisms are to english what anglicismes are to french: word, expressions or figure of speech borrowed from one language to the other. – Édouard Jul 22 '14 at 12:55
up vote 4 down vote accepted

First 7 results on google :

I think this last one (oxfordlanguage) offers a good small list :

oxfordlanguage List of gallicism

Does that help you?

share|improve this answer
Thanks @Sifu, the things that I didn't know these words are called false friends or false cognates. – Vahid Shirbisheh Jul 22 '14 at 12:48
You will find more references with "False friends" or "False cognates". But the exact and proper term for those are Gallicism. – Sifu Jul 22 '14 at 13:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.