Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I came about this sentence "mal pagé". What does it mean? If we translate it literally, it seems it means "wrong page"? But, I think it should have some meaning as a sentence, doesn't it?

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Stéphane Gimenez Jul 24 at 13:23

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

More context would be useful. Also, no need for thanks, thank answers by voting them up ; finally, the “France” tag is here for question which refers to specificity to the French language spoken in France as compared to French spoken everywhere else ; please try to avoid using unless needed. –  Édouard Jul 24 at 11:10
For this question to be answered accurately, we need context. –  Stéphane Gimenez Jul 24 at 13:24

1 Answer 1

Literally, “mal pagé” does not mean “wrong page” as “pagé” is not “page” and “mal” is an adverb (badly), not the adjective “mauvais”.

“Pagé” is probably the past participle of the verb “pager”, which is slang for “to sleep“ or “to lie down”), used here as an adjective. So my best guess is it is slang for “uncomfortably lying”.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.