Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In the sentence "she goes to school," I could insert the word "also" in two different places and with a slight adjustment of tone it would mean two separate things:

She also goes to school.

(She goes to school in addition to the other things she does.)

She goes to school, also.

(She goes to school, too, just like you, the person I'm addressing!)

Now, technically, the second sentence could take on the meaning of the first, but the first would be awkward if you were going for the meaning of the second.

Also, she goes to school.

(I forgot to mention this about her.)

How can I do this in French using aussi or également ? How can I specify my meaning? Or would I have to use other words?

She goes to Also School.

(The name of the school is Also School.)

It could happen.

share|improve this question

Sadly, I would translate both your first sentences the exact same way in French, it would be a little hard to distinguish which meaning it really has. "Elle va aussi à l'école". Though, to specify the second version, you could say "Elle va elle-aussi à l'école", "Elle aussi va à l'école" or "Elle va à l'école, tout comme toi". For the first version, you could say "En plus, elle va à l'école". –  Sifu Aug 8 at 15:07

@Sifu C'est marrant, j'aurais inversé le sens pour tes exemples. Serait-ce une différence entre le nouveau et l'ancien continent ? –  Laure Aug 8 at 15:41

@Laure que veux-tu dire? (Si tu parles de mon ordre [2 puis 1], c'est une erreur, et j'avais déjà dépassé le temps d'edit pour le modifier) Habituellement j'aurais fait 1, 2. –  Sifu Aug 8 at 15:44

@Sifu Ah, les deux mondes s'accordent donc –  Laure Aug 8 at 15:49

1 Answer 1

She also goes to school.

Elle va aussi à l'école (en plus d'autres choses qu'elle fait).

She goes to school, also.

Elle aussi va à l'école (tout comme toi!).

or, alternatively:

Elle aussi, elle va à l'école.

which further reduces the ambiguity. The easiest way to denote the difference, of course, is to add more details and remove all doubt as to which way the sentence should be interpreted.

Also, she goes to school.

Également, elle va à l'école

works just as well as

Aussi, elle va à l'école

Although the two sentences above would also benefit greatly from context to clarify that she goes to school as an addendum to other things that were previously mentioned.

Elle va à l'École Aussi

The lack of break or comma could be enough to imply that aussi stands for the name, although to be completely doubt free, I would suggest going with

L'école où elle va se nomme Aussi.
share|improve this answer

I have to say this is a really excellent first answer for someone brand new to SE! Nice use of formatting and nice answer. Welcome to the network! –  Aerovistae Aug 15 at 14:32

Thanks! I hope this covers everything. –  soph-e Aug 15 at 14:35

LOL I edited your answers to lowercase the name of the school because I'm an idiot and I didn't realize you were answering the last part of my question, which was mostly a joke. –  Aerovistae Aug 15 at 15:05

Yeah I noticed, I considered sending you this link to avoid an edit war ;) - I decided to answer the last part as well because I figured it was be a valid question, and followed with the rest. –  soph-e Aug 15 at 15:07

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.