Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If someone has dominance over English language usually in how much period of time can gain enough skill in French language ?

Since I believe many words of English and French are similar and just slightly deformed ?

Please disabuse me if I am wrong on this ! and give me more information about usually how English people study French ?

share|improve this question

closed as primarily opinion-based by Laure, Alexis Pigeon, jlliagre, M42, Kareen Aug 25 at 0:09

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The Foreign Service Institute of the Department (FSI) of State estimates the time to learn French for native english speakers at General Professional Proficiency to 600 class hours. See http://web.archive.org/web/20071014005901/http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/november/learningExpectations.html which will give you more informations about their students and the learning conditions.

share|improve this answer
“It must be kept in mind that that students at FSI are almost 40 years old, are native speakers of English. and have a good aptitude for formal language study, plus knowledge of several other foreign languages. They study in small classes of no more than 6. Their schedule calls for 25 hours of class per week with 3-4 hours per day of directed self-study.” –  Stéphane Gimenez Aug 23 at 16:55

@Laure please talk in English ? –  Fereydoon Shekofte Aug 23 at 17:46
@FereydoonShekofte Stéphane Gimenez's comment nicely says what I was referring to in my comment, the answer is only valid in those special conditions. –  Laure Aug 23 at 18:00

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.