Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In the South of France properties are often called things like Mas Pauline. What is the etymology of the word mas?

I managed to find a short definition in the Collins French to English dictionary but no etymology.

The definition is

traditional house or farm in Provence

I am not sure the restriction to Provence is accurate as I have seen the word used frequently near the Spanish border too.

share|improve this question
Mas isn't a French word. The languages spoken in the South of France (Occitan languages) and Spain (Catalan) are Roman languages that share common roots. Mas in Provençal and Catalan mean "country house" from Latin mansum which also gave French manoir. –  Laure Aug 27 at 6:38
@Laure, what is your criteria to qualify mas as not French? It is defined in the dictionary of the French Academy. –  Un francophone Aug 27 at 7:37

@Unfrancophone Not my criteria really, I said "not really French". I was just trying to understand/ (imagine?) why it had been closed. The question is about etymology and bi-lingual dictionaries to where OP was directed as closure reason never give etymology. I saw that old post on meta, added a comment, and asked for the question to be reopened. –  Laure Aug 27 at 7:47

@Laure The close reason is written beneath the question. I closed it because there is a plausible-looking etymology in Wiktionary (even in English, the TLF and the Dictionnaire de l'Académie (which, by the way, show that this is beyond doubt a French word). –  Gilles Aug 27 at 7:54
@Gilles There's no doubt it is a French word, but it is the sort of case where I think OPs should be helped in choosing a correct dictionary. If French Language is also for people who don't speak French or are learners, then a little help should be given as to which type of dictionary to use. Besides the question of why the same word is used in the south of France and in Spain should be legitimate somewhere on Stackexchange. Finding the correct information is not always obvious when you don't kn,ow where to start. –  Laure Aug 27 at 8:06

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Mas has been borrowed from provençal and catalan which are both romance languages that belong to the Occitan family.
Provençal is spoken in Provence, Catalan is spoken in Roussillon and in Catalonia where it is one of the official languages Spain.

It comes from late Latin mansum ("the place where one stays/remains") which also gave French manoir, masure and maison). In the Middle-Ages mas designated a farmhouse with a particular tenure in the feudal system1. The use of the word in French to designate a country house of Provence style dates from the mid 19th century when Provence became fashionable through literary works such as Daudet's.

1. I'm not a historian and really can't go into details on that topic.

share|improve this answer

Thank you very much. –  Lembik Aug 28 at 7:21

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.