Is the pronunciation of "sa" (her) precisely the same as the pronunciation of "ça" (it)?

Does it "feel" the same to a native french speaker, or is it definably, or indefinably, different?

4 Answers 4

In France the pronunciation is exactly the same : [sa]. But the context will always give you a hint about which one is used.

En France, la prononciation est exactement la même : [sa]. C'est le contexte qui permettra de déterminer lequel des deux est utilisé.

• Thanks. I understand about the context providing the meaning. I wanted to checked if it is like "f" (farm) and "ph" (pharmacy) in English, which are pronounced exactly the same, or if a French person hears or feels them differently. Sep 29, 2014 at 7:43
    @GreenAsJade, it feels exactly the same. Misspellings are common, especially with children. Sep 29, 2014 at 8:00
  • @StephaneGimenez : merci pour la correction! maintenant que j'y pense, dans le Nord, ça ne serait-il pas aussi prononcé [sɑ] alors que sa conserverait la prononciation [sa]? Sep 29, 2014 at 9:14
  • I don't know about France, but in Belgium there are people (me included) for which the only difference between /a/ and /ɑ/ is one of length and it isn't made for all the words which dictionaries say contains an /ɑ/. Sa, ça and çà are perfect homophones for me. Sep 29, 2014 at 13:59
    @maazza And how would that be different? (Not sure how I would pronounce garson since it's a made up word...) Sep 30, 2014 at 12:48

The other answer is valid only for European French.

In Quebec, the pronunciation of ça in stressed position (as in "Je veux ça") is [sɑ], but [sa] in unstressed position (e.g., "Ça va", [sa vɑ].) However, sa is always [sa], even if it is stressed: "C'est sa brosse [i.e., à elle] que je veux."

Well, yes they sound same. But I would say that depends on where you find it in the sentence. At the end, like when to show something, the pronunciation could be frank. The sound is cutt, (like →).

But at the beginning of a sentence it could finish lower (like ↘). In other terms it could be compared to a sinus or square form ending.

For these words that's not so important but this is a good approach for French and all latin languages I think.

In fact, starting with a strong "Ça", like you can say "ça" to show something in a sentence's ending, could be interpreted as intransigent/non-polite. Because the "square sinus" has been used.

The "sa" stay mostly neutral, but owns somes variations only in familiar/street speaking. Because it's feminine, and because it's possessive, it can be used as a punctuation in sentence, a rolling-over or a point of turning in sentence. On this case you can hold the "s" a bit longer and even only on this case finish ↗ with no mouth cut.

In Québec, there are two pronunciations, as indicated above. But I am not sure that it's stressed vs unstressed that makes the difference. Consider:

Ça [sa] ne fait rien. (Rhymes with « ma ».)

Donne-moi ça [sɑ]. (Rhymes with « chat ».)

Ça [sɑ], ce n'est pas difficile. (Rhymes with « chat ».)

I think that it rhymes with « ma » when it is a subject and with « chat » when it is either an object (direct or indirect) or in apposition. My basis for this is near-native-speaker intuition and consultation with other French speakers.

• Your answer could be improved with additional supporting information. Please edit to add further details, such as citations or documentation, so that others can confirm that your answer is correct. You can find more information on how to write good answers in the help center.
    – Community Bot
    Dec 26, 2022 at 3:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.