How do I answer:

Vous êtes-vous trempé[e] avec les giboulées de mars ?

Also:

Si je vais à Paris, irez-vous, si je reste ?

I don't understand the meaning of the last sentence: "If I go to Paris, will you go, if I stay?" Do you mean, "if I stay here (instead of going to Paris)" or "if I stay in Paris"?
    – ChrisW
    Dec 9, 2014 at 2:03
    Both sentences sounds wrong
    – goto
    Dec 9, 2014 at 9:43
  • Literally you would said "Les giboulées de mars vous ont-elles trempé ?". I think it's gramatically correct, but it sounds weird... The second phrase would be "Viendras-tu avec moi si je vais à Paris ?" I don't know if that's what your looking for...
    – IronRabbit
    Dec 9, 2014 at 10:46
  • Welcome to French Language Lucy Rudolph. There are two entirely unrelated questions here, you're supposed to ask one at a time, that's how stackexchange sites work. Moreover you will get better answers if you show you have done a little research, for example here what could say how you would answer those questions and we could the tell what's wrong with it.
    – None
    Jan 3, 2015 at 6:59

2 Answers 2

The first is an example of a reflexive verb.

For example:

• Je me lave (I wash myself)
  • Tu te laves
  • Il se lave
  • Nous nous lavons
  • Vous vous lavez
  • Ils se lavent

Swapping the order of the words to make a question (e.g. Aimez-vous ? instead of Vous aimez.) is how you get the question Vous êtes-vous trempé ?

A correct reply is, Oui, je me suis trempé ! alternatively Non, je ne me suis pas trempé.

According to https://www.google.fr/search?q=si+pr%C3%A9sent+futur there are various ways to use "si" in a sentence; for example:

• To express a probability or near-certainty, Si + présent de l'indicatif, futur simple

Si vous y allez, j'irai aussi.

• To express a hypothesis, Si + imparfait, conditionnel présent

Si vous y alliez, j'irais aussi.

• La dernière phrase me semble mauvaise, ça devrait être un futur : si vous y allez, j'irai aussi. Pour le conditionnel, il faudrait : si vous y alliez, j'irais aussi. Dec 30, 2014 at 23:42
  • Est-il permis d'utiliser un futur sans conditionnel, après "si"?
    – ChrisW
    Dec 30, 2014 at 23:46
    Cherchez si+présent+futur dans google, il y a des explications claires de la règle. Dec 30, 2014 at 23:50

Vous êtes-vous trempé[e] avec les giboulées de mars ? (x)

The most usual expression related to rain with such a verb is not se tremper imho but rather se faire tremper (see also):

Se faire tremper. Être complètement mouillé. Des averses tombaient sans relâche, tout Bonneville se faisait tremper pour voir enfoncer les pieux à l'aide d'un pilon (Zola, Joie de vivre, 1884, p. 908). La pluie tombait avec plus de force. « Pourvu qu'elle ne tarde pas: elle se ferait tremper en venant ici. » (Arland, Ordre, 1929, p. 73).

It's also possible to soak your clothes in water basically(tremper ses vêtements) but not in/with a storm. Otherwise something(like rain) might also do this to you/your clothes, as alluded to in the comments:

Nous fûmes rafraîchis par le vent, chauffés par le soleil, la pluie nous trempa jusqu'au dernier fil, la sueur jusqu'au dernier poil (Flaub., Champs et grèves, 1848, p. 304)

You may even encounter an adjectif déverbal such as trempe from trempé i.e. tu es complètement trempe. So the question, and answer, could have been:

Q. Vous êtes-vous fait tremper par les giboulées de mars ?

A1. Oui, je me suis fait tremper à plus d'une reprise...

A2. Non, je ne me suis pas fait tremper car j'ai toujours mon parapluie à portée de main.

Asking about a transient state in relation to an extended period of time feels unnatural imho. Exploring something like getting caught by the storm would maybe yield more interesting results (such as prendre une averse, ou se faire prendre par la pluie etc.).

Si je vais à Paris, (y) irez-vous, si j'y reste ?

Si j'allais à Paris, (y) iriez-vous, si j'y restais ?

The question was incorrect because the pronoun y used as complément adverbial is required here, technically twice(to go where and to stay where... y i.e. Paris).

But there is a specific rule (discussed in Le Bon Usage(Grevisse) @659 e 3-, ex.: S'il faut que tu ailles à Paris, tu iras!, Sand, Correspondance, 5 avril 1847) whereby the y is removed in front of both the conditionnel or future tense of the verb to go (aller). Otherwise you would have to reply j'y irai/j'y irais with the examples provided in the other answer(see also this and this for si contructs generally). This is useful because if you were asked "Y vas-tu?", you would have to answer either "Je vais à Paris(avec vous)" or "J'y vais"(and not je vais, since this is the present tense and you cannot do without the y there.).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.