Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I saw “déduction mensuelle” in Google Translate, but I wasn't sure that that's accurate. I think I want prélèvements don't I?

It's a header in a document. There will be a monthly deduction option for employees who want to purchase something. So instead of dropping a lump sum, they can opt for a monthly deduction.

share|improve this question
Could you give more information about the context and the expected meaning? Without more information, prélèvements is probably not the word needed and déduction seems good but réduction could be better. –  Un francophone Sep 22 '11 at 16:05

There isn't much of a context. It's for a header in a document. There will be a monthly deduction option for employees who want to purchase something. So instead of dropping a lump sum, they can opt for a monthly deduction. –  bozdoz Sep 22 '11 at 16:11
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 10 down vote accepted

In that context, prélèvements mensuels is indeed more idiomatic.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.