Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can anyone tell me the French words for chimney, fireplace, mantelpiece and hearth? Because my dictionary, Google Translate and Babelfish translate all these words to Cheminée which makes for a ridiculously imprecise conversation.

How does one distinguish between these words in French?

share|improve this question

You may want to steer away from "translating" tools and use a real dictionary. See also this question on online resources for translations, including dictionaries. –  Joubarc Oct 7 '11 at 4:41
add comment

1 Answer

Google is not wrong here, cheminée is an accurate translation for all your words. If you want to be more precise, though, you can use

• foyer : fireplace
  • âtre : hearth
  • manteau de cheminée : mantelpiece
  • conduit de cheminée : chimney (the whole pipe)
  • souche de cheminée : chimney (the visible roof structure)
share|improve this answer
I didn't mean to say that Google is incorrect, just that when you're trying to discuss this topic, having the same word for every piece of the puzzle makes it a touch um... vague :P Thank you though, I really appreciate your help. –  Ben Alabaster Oct 6 '11 at 22:48
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.