French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

To translate little by little, is there any difference between these two choices? Not a super important thing, exactly, but I'm still curious.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

They both express the same thing, but there is a little bit difference between them:

We use petit à petit to describe a process/action which steps are evolving slowly but still they are clear and distinguishable ones:

• Petit à petit, l'oiseau fait son nid: This is a proverd and it means: little by little, the bird constructs its nest
  • J'ai construit ma maison petit à petit: I have built my house little by little: The process of building, even if it is slow, involves clear and distinguisable steps.

We use peu à peu to describe a process/action which steps are evolving slowly but this process is not clear in that its steps are not distinguishable:

• Le climat se réchauffe peu à peu: the climate is warming little by little.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.