Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Canada, there's a dish spelt 'poutine', which consists of fries, gravy, and cheese curds. However, I have come across two conflicting accounts of how to pronounce the word online, and I would like to know how it should be pronounced. The two guides for pronouncing it I've seen are [ˈpu.tin] and [ˈpyt.sɛ̃]. Perhaps some Québécois could tell me which way it is usually pronounced? Are both pronunciations used, perhaps, by anglophone Canadians and francophone Canadians respectively?

share|improve this question

Unfortunately, the "constructive edit" policy prevents me from changing "québecois" to "Québécois"... –  Brennan Vincent Aug 18 '11 at 13:04
You have to eat some before you can pronounce it right. –  Laurent Pireyn Aug 18 '11 at 13:42
add comment

5 Answers

up vote 9 down vote accepted

In English you can refer to it with the standard French way of pronouncing it: /pu'tin/

In Québécois French, however, we say /pu'tsɪn/. You might even hear it sound like “p'tine” /ptsɪn/ in rapid speech, but that would sound really sloppy. Although it's probably not as common as the familiar québécois pronunciation of petite – “p'tite” /ptsɪt/

share|improve this answer

+1 Confirmed here. –  Alain Pannetier Aug 19 '11 at 1:26
add comment

I can confirm people in western Canada say "pu-teen" and have no idea what you are talking about when you say "pu-tin".

add comment

"Pu-tsin" in French or "pu-tin" in English — everywhere but western Canada, where they use "pu-teen" and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about if you pronounce it correctly.

add comment

Non, ça se prononce [pu.tsin]. D'après Wikipédia:

Le [t] et [d] suivies de [i] ou [y] ou [j] ou [ɥ] deviennent des consonnes affriquées. Tirer se prononce [t͡siʁe], moitié se prononce [mwat͡sje], dîner se prononce [d͡zine] et dieu se prononce [d͡zjø].

Ce phénomène qui apparait dans Pout'sine [Pu.tsin] est un phénomène largement répandu au Québec, dans lequel le T est devenu affriqué. Exemple: Tsu veux-tsu d(z)iner…?

Si vous prononcez [pu.tin], on vous comprendra mais vous prononceriez comme le ferait un Français, et non comme un Québécois.

MErci. Il faut spécifier que la page Wikipédia concerne le parler québécois. –  Erika Mar 25 '13 at 22:46
add comment

According to this wiktionary entry (that confirms my own pronunciation) it should be /pu.tin/.

Be sure to not pronounce it "Putin" which means something completely else. –  Neikos Aug 18 '11 at 17:26

@Neikos En général c'est comme ça qu'on se prend une patate. –  Romain VALERI Mar 23 at 16:42
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.