Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is a quite popular term in Italian. I am aware it is related to some specific Italian cultural element, so it is rather likely that a straightforward translation doesn't exist.

Supercazzola is a nonsense, a phrase without any meaning, which contains invented words, which is used as a joke, in order to mock or confuse the person to whom the phrase is addressed.

Freely translated from wikipedia.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 8 down vote accepted

The wikipedia page you refer has a Spanish translation which is similar to the French word galimatias, so I guess it's the closest translation. I don't hear it very often, though.

Apparently embrouillamini is considered as a synonym but may not be that suitable for abstract concepts.

I would rather recommend the more frequent charabia, or maybe sabir (although it may be offensive to certain populations, I don't know).

I don't think any of these carry the idea of being intentionally deceptive, though.

share|improve this answer

The English translation given by wikipedia is gobbledegook, which is also usually translated into French by charabia. –  Laure Dec 14 '11 at 19:35
@laure That would be gibberish. –  Knu Dec 15 '11 at 0:00

Wikipedia English transaltion is somewhat imprecise, in my opinion "gobbledegook" and "supercazzola" are not the same. They have in common beeing hard to understand, but not much more. –  Paolo Dec 15 '11 at 14:09

(+1) for charabia that is mostly used. –  Romain VALERI May 15 '13 at 6:47
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.