Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Say you are sorting a list of movie or book titles. You'll often want to pull certain articles from the front:

• Lord of the Rings, The
  • Parisienne, La

What if you have a title like L'École des Facteurs? How would this be written?

• L'École des Facteurs
  • École des Facteurs, L'
  • École des Facteurs, La
share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I would say:

École des Facteurs, L'

share|improve this answer

Thanks. Does anyone have a source, maybe just a prominent site that does it this way? –  miracle2k Jan 12 '12 at 11:53

@miracle2k: In an index the article is always placed at the end after a comma. Here the article is L' not La. See some information at theleme.enc.sorbonne.fr/cours/edition_epoque_moderne/… –  M42 Jan 12 '12 at 12:16
add comment

The article is part of the title, it doesn't make sense to put it behind. Would you use Cain John, Mc?

I would use L'école des facteurs as no one can think about école des facteurs alone.

share|improve this answer

The article is often pulled out of titles in such lists to make searching easier, otherwise half of the list would be in the T or L sections. –  Kareen Feb 27 at 16:16

If your talking about software, it's not because you see it that it is a good solution. A lot of database search are done by autocompleting the results, ignoring the article. Like you begin to type "sei", it propose "le seigneur des anneaux" and "trois seigneurs" –  goto Feb 28 at 8:22

I'm not talking about software, it's obviously irrelevant. What is relevant though is not making your user manually sift through 15 pages of "The [...]" when they could go straight to the relevant part of the title. Besides, it doesn't really answer the question. The OP is already separating the full articles and asks how to proceed for contracted ones. –  Kareen Feb 28 at 8:33
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.