For four years I've been in "intergrated french" and I'm still finding French quite difficult (especially grammar). I know I can learn other lanaguages because I know may programming languages.

I'm determined to learn it and I was wondering if there was any good books available to help me learn the language or really-well published online articles.

Natural languages are very different from programming languages.
    – Mitch
    Feb 4, 2012 at 3:14
  • There's no magic bullet. You can't learn a language in a day or even in a year. After four years, you aren't after learning material: read real books and articles in French, on any topic that interest you. Feb 4, 2012 at 14:42
  • 1) Read. 2) Listen. 3) Repeat 1 and 2 over and over again with consistency for at least 3-5 years, that is, if you don't have the option to move to a French speaking region. If you are a competent writer in your primary language, then you are unlikely to become a bad one in French. Writing comes naturally with reading comprehension and speaking comes naturally with listening comprehension. That's how I learnt French by myself from scratch. Feb 10, 2012 at 3:20

1 Answer 1

The best way to learn and speak fluent French (and any other language by the way) is immersion: go and live in a country where people speak French for at least 3 months, you will learn the stuff that isn't taught in classrooms.

This is useless if you go to a place where you can find many people who speak your language. I have a friend who went to London to learn English. He came back with the same level of English than before, just because he spent every evening with French people.

• This sounds like a good idea but I can't afford moving to a country for 3 months. +1, though.
    – alexyorke
    Feb 4, 2012 at 13:25

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.