Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For four years I've been in "intergrated french" and I'm still finding French quite difficult (especially grammar). I know I can learn other lanaguages because I know may programming languages.

I'm determined to learn it and I was wondering if there was any good books available to help me learn the language or really-well published online articles.

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Gilles Feb 4 '12 at 14:40

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Natural languages are very different from programming languages. –  Mitch Feb 4 '12 at 3:14

There's no magic bullet. You can't learn a language in a day or even in a year. After four years, you aren't after learning material: read real books and articles in French, on any topic that interest you. –  Gilles Feb 4 '12 at 14:42

1) Read. 2) Listen. 3) Repeat 1 and 2 over and over again with consistency for at least 3-5 years, that is, if you don't have the option to move to a French speaking region. If you are a competent writer in your primary language, then you are unlikely to become a bad one in French. Writing comes naturally with reading comprehension and speaking comes naturally with listening comprehension. That's how I learnt French by myself from scratch. –  deutschZuid Feb 10 '12 at 3:20
add comment

1 Answer

The best way to learn and speak fluent French (and any other language by the way) is immersion: go and live in a country where people speak French for at least 3 months, you will learn the stuff that isn't taught in classrooms.

This is useless if you go to a place where you can find many people who speak your language. I have a friend who went to London to learn English. He came back with the same level of English than before, just because he spent every evening with French people.

share|improve this answer

This sounds like a good idea but I can't afford moving to a country for 3 months. +1, though. –  alexy13 Feb 4 '12 at 13:25
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.