Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

“The Oxford 3000” (PDF listing) is a selection of the 3000 most frequently used words in English. If you know them, you can understand the meaning of more than 80% of the words in a general text.

Is there something like that for French? A simplified dictionary for students would be nice too. Because I'm in a condition in which I cannot buy any book, I would prefer to find such dictionary online or in PDF format so that I can print it.

share|improve this question
maybe related to french.stackexchange.com/questions/492/… –  Cédric Julien Feb 16 '12 at 11:07

2 Answers 2

up vote 12 down vote accepted

I don't know of any resource as complete as the Oxford 3000, but lists of words sorted by frequency have been compiled by lexicologists, such as:

• one published on Éduscol (direct PDF link), created by Étienne Brunet, has the most used 1500 words. It is commonly used by elementary or middle school teachers.
  • Wiktionary has another one, with 1750 words all linked to the relevant Wiktionary page. Unfortunately, the link to the original source (“Liste de 1750 mots connus d’un enfant de 4 ans, d’après l’académie d'Amiens”) is dead.
share|improve this answer

For 1000 words, featuring prepositions and such, I found this one, based on work by the Lexique.org team: Lexique 1000¹.

For 2000 words, there seem to be very interesting flashcards to help learn them.

¹ Let's name it that.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.