Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Cooties (occasionally spelled coodies) is an imaginary disease that little boys say little girls have.

share|improve this question

And what's the subtle difference between Cootie and Coodies? –  Stamm Mar 12 '12 at 19:30

@Stamm I'm fairly sure it's just a variant spelling because the /t/ becomes a flap in that word. –  Circeus Mar 12 '12 at 23:06

2 Answers 2

up vote 10 down vote accepted

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as an equivalent to "cooties" in French "childhood culture", either in Europe or North America. You might find references to the other sex being icky, but I have never seen it "formalized" as something like it is in English.

share|improve this answer

I'm French. The best translation I can think of is (apparently as "cooties" is an insult boys against girls) "les filles c'est nul" or "les filles ça craint" (not "ça craint / It's scares" but "ça craint / it's the shame of being with, it's boring". Literary translation would be "les filles c'est des pouilleuses", "the girls are dirty / verminous person", but it is not something the child say in real life. This is too "nasty" and the parents scold probably, while "les filles c'est nul" they can smile.

share|improve this answer

The local variant I heard is des pisseuses, it refers to little girls, but it's not used by little boys, mostly grown-ups, and it's pejorative also. –  Romain VALERI May 27 '13 at 0:48

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.