French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In programming a "higher order function" is a function that does at least one of two things:

  • take a function as a argument
  • returns a function

Given that I have interviews coming up shortly, what's the correct way to reference those functions in French?

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

Le terme fonction d'ordre supérieur peut être utilisé pour ce type de fonctions, que ce soit dans le domaine informatique, ou en mathématiques.

On retrouve ces fonctions couramment dans la programmation fonctionnelle, mais aussi dans certains languages impératifs.

share|improve this answer
Merci beaucoup, j'ai pensé à une traduction aussi "évidente". Cependant j'ai pris l'habitude de me méfier d'éventuels faux-amis, spécialement dans le domaine technique. – rahmu Mar 14 '12 at 15:30

As @Mat said it, you can use the direct translation "fonction d'ordre supérieur". There is another term that is commonly used, that is to say : "une fonctionnelle" which is the mathematical term for function which takes other functions in parameters.

Also, but very rare, the term "forme" is eventually used.

For higher order functions returning functions, there is the term "fonctions curryfiées", derived from the "curryfication". It comes from the Lambda-Calculus, where you can have functions taking multiple arguments, only use some of them and returning a function which will processed the other parameters left untouched. The concept exists in programming too.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.