Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would love to know what is the correct term to define the 'root' part of the verb, which is usually the part kept in tact whilst transforming the verb into other tenses.

e.g.

verb = manger
root = mang-

Thank you.

share|improve this question
A simple lookup in a standard ressource like those given here will give you the answer. If you have still problems after such a lookup, please explain it in more details. –  Un francophone Mar 29 '12 at 11:07

Pull up the Wikipedia article in English and check out the corresponding article in French. –  Gilles Mar 29 '12 at 21:11

@Phil As per the FAQ, we ask that you look in a dictionary before asking a question. If you still have a question after that step, we can help you. Since your question was readily answerable by looking in a dictionary, it was closed. –  Kareen Mar 31 '12 at 16:26

Kareen, this is was not intended to be dictionary-check or quick-translation question. I am a native speaker of both French and English languages. I know what the word "root" means in both and in a several more. What I didn't know was the LINGUISTIC term. I did not even know I had it right with "root" in English, which I used to ask the question. Doesn't make sense to look something up without knowing. The comments above are egoistic and self-satisfactory, serving to nothing. Thank you though for clarifying. And I thank with all my heart to @Stamm for showing the decency of not being a smarty. –  Phil Mar 31 '12 at 19:25

@Phil I voted to close your question, but I didn't understand you were looking for specific terminology. Maybe you could edit your question and be more clear about that? –  Alenanno Apr 1 '12 at 11:13
add comment

closed as too localized by Un francophone, Stéphane Gimenez, Alenanno, Gilles Mar 29 '12 at 21:10

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The root part is called “racine” or “radical”.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.