Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does the Quebeckism "pis" mean exactly the same thing as "et" in France (or in formal usage in Quebec), or is there some nuance between the two?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Quebecer here, and I can't think of a significant one except that it can be found in a use similar to "so" before greeting: "Pis, ça va?" ("So, how's it going?"), and "et" alone is found in numbers (*vingt pis un does not occur).

You may encounter "et pis", though, which is kind of another variation (and will also be the informal pronunciation for "et puis" meaning "besides").

In fact, as far as I an tell, the entry for "pis" in my Dictionnaire Québécois D'aujourd'hui is a reprisal of the entries for "et" and "puis" (I have only used the differences in the uses that correspond to "et", but "pis" also stands for "puis") with some fixed expressions and the examples as the only differences...

share|improve this answer

Merci pour cette réponse très complète ! –  Brennan Vincent Mar 30 '12 at 7:40

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.