French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In English, if something is egregiously out of place, it can be said that it is “sticking out like a sore thumb”. Example:

I was so bad at playing football and they were all professionals; I stuck out like a sore thumb!

What's an equivalent way of conveying this phrase in French?

Résumé : Y a-t-il un verbe ou une expression française qui veut dire que quelque chose n'est vraiment pas à sa place, de manière bien visible ?

share|improve this question
up vote 13 down vote accepted

Je propose :

  • Détonner
  • Faire tache (no circumflex!)
  • Jurer dans le décor
  • Se voir comme le nez au milieu de la figure.
share|improve this answer
Not to mention "visible comme une mouche dans un verre de lait" - conspicuous as a fly in a glass of milk. Yuk! – Alain Pannetier Aug 18 '11 at 20:04
"Jurer dans le décor"? Jamais entendu. – Knu Sep 7 '11 at 22:57

Perhaps something like faire tache (or faire tache dans le paysage) or paraître déplacé.

share|improve this answer
faire tâche may be followed by dans le paysage. – Mukuro Aug 18 '11 at 19:40
No circumflex on tache, please! – F'x Aug 18 '11 at 19:45
Indeed, may my iniquity be visited upon me and my children unto the third and fourth generation. – Evpok Aug 18 '11 at 20:00

On peut aussi dire que quelque chose est « grand comme une maison » ou « gros comme une maison ».

share|improve this answer
Plutôt grand comme une maison (je ne peut pas corriger, modification trop petite) – LudoMC Aug 21 '11 at 11:38
Plutôt « je ne peux pas corriger ». :) – Brennan Vincent Aug 22 '11 at 22:06
Argh ! Honte à moi (bouhhh, mais bon c'était tard le soir, enfin je crois...). Pis maintenant c'est maisonn ?! – LudoMC Aug 22 '11 at 22:08
On dit plutôt gros comme une maison. – ℝaphink Aug 22 '11 at 22:16

If it is out of place in a positive manner, you can say "sortir du lot".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.