French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

En anglais pettifogging est défini comme étant « Placing undue emphasis on petty details » et « to bicker or quibble over trifles or unimportant matters ».

Quel mot français pourrais être utilisé pour signifier la même chose avec une connotation similaire ?

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

Pinailler est à ajouter aux propositions de Circeus (et plus courant dans mon entourage qui emploie peu ergoter et chicaner).

share|improve this answer

Ergoter, chicaner et couper des cheveux en quatre, ainsi que leurs familles, sont les premiers termes qui me viennent à l'esprit.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.