Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I hope the question is self explanatory.

I'm seeking for the idiomatic English equivalent.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Stamm, Stéphane Gimenez, Un francophone, Evpok Apr 2 '12 at 14:28

Questions on French Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to French language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

When asking a translation question, I think it is better to go on the target language board, in that case: English Language & Usage –  Stamm Apr 2 '12 at 8:03

We can help you with formulating an idea in French or with understanding a French sentence, but not with idiomatic English. I suggest reposting on English Language & Usage. Be sure to explain in English what the phrase means, as most users there don't speak French. See this question for a similar example. An example sentence (in English, of course, with the equivalent of toutes proportions gardées missing) might also help. –  Gilles Apr 2 '12 at 20:54
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

It depends on the context. It can be “proportionally”, “up to a point” or “to some extent”.

share|improve this answer
add comment

An unwieldy translation would be "making the necessary adjustments". The idea is that in a comparison there are some differences in the comparands, but if you allow for those differences then the comparands may be seen to be similar.

If you're in a formal context it would be better to use the latin phrase: mutatis mutandis

+1 for mutatis mutandis –  Vladtn Apr 2 '12 at 13:00
add comment

Additionally you may use "all things considered" which, arguably, is often used as "toutes proportions gardées" when about quantities, as in this example:

Actually, Fitch thinks his family is doing fine right now, all things considered.

Example from here.

add comment