Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that both faire une promenade and se promener mean "to walk," but which one is considered better to use?

share|improve this question

Possible duplicate with this one ? –  Romain VALERI May 28 at 13:30

2 Answers 2

If you say "je vais me promener" without saying where, you're going to wander, hang around.

But if you say "on va se promener en ville" ou bien "on a fait une promenade en forêt", you mean a real walk, enjoy the landscape, whatever.

share|improve this answer

Promenade/promener do not quite equal "walk" (which would be the more generic marcher). They both imply a component of leisure, and are usually translated by "take a walk".

There is actually a nuance of meaning between se promener and faire une promenade, as the latter is a punctual action, but for the most part, both are grammatical. Personally I don't like faire une/des promenade(s) (I think it's clunky, especially in the plural), but it's probably just me.

share|improve this answer

I meant faire une promenade. I changed it. –  Orcris May 14 '12 at 0:56

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.