Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For example, words ending by "-ette" are very likey to be feminine.

So, are there other rules that can help to assess the gender?

share|improve this question

Not beyond a few very specific cases that often have exceptions. See also Comment fait-on pour reconnaître et mémoriser le genre des noms? –  Gilles May 24 '12 at 19:41
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 8 down vote accepted

I think the most useful rule of thumbs is that words ending with -e or -tion are usually feminine, others are usually masculine. I don't know if someone can come with precise figures, but I would say this holds for more than 80% of all words.

A lengthy but more refined version.

share|improve this answer
You could also add -ssion, -ante, -ente, -inte and -ée to the "usually feminine". And -t to the "usually masculine". –  Alexis Pigeon May 24 '12 at 10:01
@Alexis: Notice that -ante, -ente, -inte, -ée and -t are already included in the short and approximative rule :-) –  Stéphane Gimenez May 24 '12 at 10:13

I disagree with -e: un téléphone, un bocage, un verre... juste quelques exemples (un autre) trouvés en quelques secondes. –  mouviciel May 24 '12 at 13:17

@mouviciel: It's a useful rule when you speak and you don't know the gender of a word, it's a good guess. As I said, it's just a rule of thumbs. But maybe you disagree with the 90% proportion? If you know a better estimation, please share it. –  Stéphane Gimenez May 24 '12 at 13:29

Ok I did a quick estimate using nouns extracted from a text, the proportion seems closer to 80%. (I didn't count words which admit both genders). –  Stéphane Gimenez May 24 '12 at 13:43
add comment

The words ending with the sound "o" ("-eau") are generally masculine. Exemple: un château.

The well known french poor man's rule for spanish is -o for masculine, -a for feminine. Ain't it working for french ? –  Nikana Reklawyks Oct 17 '12 at 7:31

Ne fonctionne pas pour tout les mots. Par exemple la peau => nom féminin. Mais c'est vrai que la majorité des mots en eau sont masculin. –  F. Geraerts Aug 27 '13 at 9:38
add comment

Même pour un francophone, le genre d'un mot n'est pas toujours évident, et de nombreux jeux de société ont des questions sur le genre des mots, surtout s'ils sont faiblement usités…

Pour mémoriser, j'accole systématiquement un adjectif (dont on peut reconnaître le genre à l'oreille) qui complète la signification, quitte à faire un pléonasme pour en confirmer le sens :

• une grande apogée
  • un interstice tout petit

edit remplacement de minuscule par tout petit

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.