Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Nous courons vs nous courrons? Nous courions vs nous courrions? Same with mourir, secourir, accourir, etc...same with vous as for nous.

How do you differentiate between them?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 8 down vote accepted

The difference can be heard when you make a break between the syllables:

• "Nous courons" is pronounced: Nous cou-rons
  • "Nous courrons" is pronounced: Nous cour-rons - In this case the 'r' is emphasized because you pronounce it twice.
share|improve this answer
I understand the concept but am having a lot of trouble executing it here in my living room. I'll have to hear someone say it. Hopefully it's easier than it sounds. –  Aerovistae May 30 '12 at 16:15
add comment

For all these cases, I tend to insist just a bit more on the R when it's doubled. This may vary between regionalisms however.

And I wonder if the spelling doesn't drive the pronunciation. –  Un francophone May 30 '12 at 11:25
It surely does, but only to disambiguate. For example, I would never pronounce the RR in "carré" the same way as in "mourrons", basically because there is no "caré" to disambiguate from. –  Alexis Pigeon May 30 '12 at 11:34
add comment

When speaking normally, that is not reading a poem or a dictation and wanting to help the pupils, the double r are not pronounced (in France at least).

I do sometimes hear nous courrons not quite rhyming with nous pourrons, as if it was nous *courerons. –  Gilles Jun 4 '12 at 19:58

That is a common mistake but of spelling, not of pronunciation: a Google search for courerons' or even courirons' raises quite a lot of results… –  Alfred M. Jun 5 '12 at 6:08
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.