Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Apparently the verb pleuvoir can only be conjugated in the third person, but I don't understand why you would ever conjugate it in the plural. If Il pleut means It's raining, what does Ils pleuvent mean?

share|improve this question

Dat's called a defective verb, by the way. –  Nikana Reklawyks Nov 5 '12 at 22:00
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 22 down vote accepted

You could use this form in a figurative way, when describing objects falling down or being thrown in big quantities. It can also be found in sport comments, usually tennis and maybe boxing, for example Les coups droits pleuvaient sur le Central (litterally Forehands were raining on the Central Court).

share|improve this answer
Hey...your highest rated answer is my highest rated question. This is destiny calling. –  Aerovistae Aug 27 '13 at 6:30

@Aerovistae :-D –  Alexis Pigeon Aug 27 '13 at 7:25
add comment

More accurately (IMO) coups is a common word for this, but many other terms expressing something abstract can also be used: insultes or injures is a common exemple in dictionaries too. The TLFi has a bunch of examples if you care to look at it.

share|improve this answer

+1 for the TLFi reference. –  Alexis Pigeon May 30 '12 at 14:44

What is TLFi? I checked out the link but didn't see that acronym anywhere. –  Aerovistae May 30 '12 at 16:13
The Trésor de la Langue Française ("TLF") informatisée ("i"). –  Circeus May 30 '12 at 16:33
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.