Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm reading Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets, and I came across a grammatical point that confused me.

J'appartiens aux monde des sorciers… au monde de Poudlard.

Aux vs au. In English we would be referring to the singular world, so it wouldn't matter if we said world of plural sorcerers or world of singular Hogwarts. Is that not how it works in French?

share|improve this question
Stephane, you are a very thorough editor. I can always count on you to make a question look good. –  Aerovistae Jul 1 '12 at 17:48

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

That's a typo. It should be au in both cases :

J'appartiens au monde des sorciers... au monde de Poudlard.

or (but it looks a bit weird)

J'appartiens aux mondes des sorciers... au monde de Poudlard.

share|improve this answer
I am so psyched right now. I just detected my first typo in French. SO SATISFYING. Thank you. –  Aerovistae Jun 30 '12 at 23:46

@Aerovistae The book must be bad... ;-) Try another. –  Romain VALERI Jul 1 '12 at 1:43
@Aerovistae See if you can spot the big error in the first book's Griffondor/Serpentard quidditch match! –  Circeus Jul 1 '12 at 1:49

In good time! I'll keep an eye out. :) –  Aerovistae Jul 1 '12 at 3:02

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.