Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen Une vie de chat, and there is a moment when the thief talks to the girl, and asks her name, and she doesn't reply, and then the thief asks "Tu ne veux pas me parler, t'as donné ta langue aux chats?".

My dictionary gives a translation "refuse to guess / refuse to solve a puzzle", but it doesn't really suit the context. What is the intended meaning here?

Also, the dictionary mentions that it is also possible to say "donner (ou jeter) sa langue aux chiens". Is it possible and if yes, does it have the same meaning?

share|improve this question
I'd say "What's the matter, cat got your tongue?" –  JL344 Jul 8 '12 at 4:58
A very funny thing happened here. This phrase was used not idiomatically, but almost in its direct meaning. But translated into English, it has happened to take exactly the form of another idiom, this time an English one, the one that you've cited. Now, given almost total European bilinguism, I can only guess whether the person who has written this dialogue has foreseen this translation trick (or was he even counting on it?). –  Olga Jul 9 '12 at 20:05

Olga's comment refers to JL344's one, for those blindly searching for said idiom. –  Nikana Reklawyks Oct 7 '12 at 21:36

1 Answer 1

up vote 10 down vote accepted

I gather there's a pun.
"Je donne ma langue au(x) chat(s)" as your dictionary says a colloquial phrase meaning "I give up guessing, just tell me". But in the context you describe I expect it is not used in the figurative way but strictly means the girl has given her tongue to the cat, therefore she's lost it and can't talk.

"Donner sa langue au(x) chien(s)" has the same meaning and I don't think it is really used nowadays.
See French dictionary here for meaning and here for a possible origin.

share|improve this answer

Thank you for the quick answer. I hoped there to be some kind of jeu de mots, and it's just a joke. Well, at least the dictionary is correct =) So, "donner sa langue aux chats" is still in use, but not "donner sa langue aux chiens"? –  Olga Jul 6 '12 at 18:44
@Olga: Personnellement je n'emploie pas « je donne ma langue aux chiens » et ne l'entends pas dire en France autour de moi (mais la France n'est pas le seul pays francophone !). –  Laure Jul 7 '12 at 9:14

Merci =) Est-ce que c'est la mem chose pour "... aux chats"? –  Olga Jul 7 '12 at 9:30
@Olga: Donner sa langue au chat est une expression familière très courante en français de France. –  Laure Jul 7 '12 at 9:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.