Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Livre, entre, autre, article, règle are examples of what I'm talking about.

I've never been sure whether I should pronounce those final two letters. When a native speaker pronounces such words, sometimes I can hear them and sometimes I can't.

share|improve this question
It depends on the situation. Are you talking normally, singing, or are you angrily yelling at someone? –  Zoot Jul 11 '12 at 19:35
....the second two. –  Aerovistae Jul 11 '12 at 20:06

Related answer: french.stackexchange.com/a/11979/79 –  Stéphane Gimenez Nov 7 at 10:10

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Dropping liquids after consonants (e.g. in words that ends with -ble, -dre, -tre, -fle etc.) is an extremely common feature of everyday pronunciation in French (Grevisse 14th ed., §36c). Pronouncing many final schwas would be the primary reason for the recognition of these consonants and is generally considered either an affectation or a dialectal feature.

share|improve this answer

In French it's not the the re or le that is left unpronounced, but the final e.

Pronouncing livre is like pronouncing livr. Some people may actually force the last consonant and you get a sound like livreu.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.