Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

After someone says "merci beaucoup", I would like to respond by saying something equivalent to the English phrase "no problem". I tried google translate, and it gave me "Pas de problème", but I'm not so sure this is correct. Is it correct? Are there other informal ways of expressing "you're welcome"?

share|improve this question
add comment

6 Answers

up vote 18 down vote accepted

There are a few main ways to say "you're welcome" in French:

• Je vous en prie / Je t'en prie

I feel this is a little more formal than the others, but is the canonical French response to "thank you". In some sense, it can be equivalent to "don't worry about it".

• Pas de problème

Google translate was right. It is widely used, it's informal and it likely comes from English in the first place.

• De rien

This phrase likely comes from the Spanish de nada. Rien means "nothing", so it could be somewhat analogous to "don't give it a second thought". But shorter and more informal.

• Bienvenue

Used in Canada, this is the literal translation of "welcome". In other French-speaking countries, it would likely not be understood. This use of bienvenue is an anglicism; its correct use is mostly one of greeting or of appreciation, like when you say, for example, that relief is welcomed.

share|improve this answer
If we come to regional languages, let's add one we hear in Lorraine, mainly from older people : Service ! –  Romain VALERI Jul 13 '12 at 20:49
My native language is French and I wouldn't have understood that Romain Valeri. –  Alexandre P. Levasseur Jul 15 '12 at 11:58
Bienvenue would definitely not be understood in that context in France. –  Rodrigue Jul 15 '12 at 19:26

Pas de problème est, je pense, un anglicisme. –  rds Jul 16 '12 at 11:23
Service ! is very common in the french part of Switzerland also, and not only from older people... –  Yannick Blondeau Jul 18 '12 at 6:27
show 1 more comment

Other ways to answer a "Merci" are:

• "Il n'y a pas de quoi", sometimes abbreviated in "Pas de quoi"
  • around Toulouse: "Avec plaisir"
  • in Belgium: "S'il vous plaît"
+1 for Pas de quoi –  Rodrigue Jul 15 '12 at 19:27
@rds - I live in Toulouse and Avec plaisir is very common and not formal at all. –  mouviciel Jul 16 '12 at 12:09
@Otiel - Because friends from other regions find it strange. –  mouviciel Jul 17 '12 at 15:41
@Otiel : Born and bred in Toulouse and now living north of the Loire I can assure that « avec plaisir » (to be quite accurate /a.ve/ plaisir) is commonly used in Toulouse and sounds strange to northerners even when « avec » is pronouced /a.vɛk/. –  Laure Dec 10 '13 at 10:04
In Belgium, we say “S’il vous plaît” when we hand something to someone, so before “merci”, but I’ve never heard “s’il vous plaît” as an answer to merci. –  Édouard Dec 10 '13 at 15:06
show 5 more comments

The usual answer to “merci” in French is “de rien” which has about the same meaning as “no problem” and translates to “it's nothing”.

Littré says "de rien" is familair language for a depricated ne me remerciez de rien french.stackexchange.com/questions/940/… –  rds Jul 16 '12 at 11:15
add comment

The most commonly used is probably "De rien".

Slightly more formal is this one : "Je t'en prie / Je vous en prie"

Your "Pas de problème" is used also, and is more casual.

I don't think "pas de souci(s?)" nor "pas de problème" are good answers after "merci". I think, they fit better after "excuse-moi". –  rds Jul 16 '12 at 11:16
add comment

À l'oral, après merci, en France (St Etienne) j'entends souvent répondre Y'a pas d'soucis.

I don't think "pas de souci(s?)" nor "pas de problème" are good answers after "merci". I think, they fit better after "excuse-moi". –  rds Jul 16 '12 at 11:09

@rds Yse and no, in my opinion. Merci means Vous vous êtes géné pour me rendre service, it's sort of excuse-moi, you right. So the response Y'a pas d'soucis is understandable. It's common conversation : Merci / Y'a pas d'soucis / Mais merci quand même / y'a pas d'soucis y'a pas d'soucis je t'assure and so on. Sorry for my english (Y'a pas d'soucis). –  Istao Feb 14 '13 at 7:40
add comment

In Northern France, I most frequently hear "Il n'y a pas de quoi", or just "pas de quoi" (more casual).

add comment

protected by Gilles Dec 10 '13 at 9:02

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.