Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am unaware of French Language but I need francisation for Mobile App Development. I need small word (small string) for the phrase Favorite Trip (in English). I translated it through google translater and got word Favorite de voyage (in French). But I want smaller phrase than this.

Can someone help me in it?

share|improve this question
"Favorite de voyage" isn't right for "Favourite Trip", so there's no issue about this specific example, but in general, you should expect French expressions to be slightly longer than English expressions, in particular because you can't glue nouns together in French (you'd have to use the longer expression, for example "room temperature" -> "temperature of the room" -> "température de la pièce"). You should take that into account for the layout of your user interface. –  Bruno Jul 19 '12 at 18:41

Maybe heavy rewriting could make something out of this question, but as it stands, it's based on wrong premises, answerable by a dictionary, and would look like homework if it wasn't so obviously just work. Also I'm not sure about this site's interest about "short strings". I would've been glad to see this happen on chat. –  Nikana Reklawyks Nov 20 '12 at 6:02

4 Answers 4

I don't quite understand why you want it smaller, but anyway favorite de voyage is gibberish. What you mean is probably voyage favori or voyage préféré.

share|improve this answer

The string I mentioned i.e. favorite de voyage is not fitting in the label of Mobile App. So I needed the change. –  Vaibhavi Jul 19 '12 at 12:41

If your context is clear enough (i.e. the user will understand it is about a trip), just use Favori.

The correct translation would be “Voyage favori” it's already slightly shorter than your current string.

Depending of you context "Voyage favori" could be an adequate answer.

If you are developping an app in ITS, you should consider "Trajet favori" as an alternative.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.