Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Which sentence is correct?

Il est riche, tout du moins, il a de l'argent.

Or

Il est riche, à tout le moins, il a de l'argent.

In general people say "tout du moins", but in books I read "à tout le moins". What is the correct expression?

share|improve this question

I would correct the second sentence into « Il est riche, il a de l'argent, à tout le moins » though. (And then I would think both to be correct.) –  Nikana Reklawyks Oct 13 '12 at 10:24

3 Answers 3

"Tout du moins" seems to me a less common variant of "tout au moins". For the rest, both expressions mean pretty much the same same thing, roughly "Well, at least, nevertheless, anyway", though quite more formally than several of these expressions.

share|improve this answer

Both are correct but à tout le moins sounds now old-fashioned (wiktionnaire).

There's also pour le moins which has the same meaning.

Tout du moins is not a correct expression as far as I know. In any case, I have never heard it. À tout le moins, on the other hand, is correct.

There are also these other similar expressions with moins:

• Du moins
  • Au moins
  • Tout au moins
My informal impression is that tout du moins is more common than tout au moins in spoken French in France. –  Gilles Jul 26 '12 at 22:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.