Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was in Montreal last week gathering French books and newspapers. I also explored several neighborhoods to get a feel for the local culture. I was wondering how to say "I am a tourist." because I wanted to make it clear that I was not a native anglophone.

I'm not certain if I should say "Je suis un touriste." or "Je suis touriste." I know you leave out the indefinite article if you are indicating your profession but a tourist is not a profession. I've searched the Internet but did not find a clear answer.

share|improve this question
je suis un touriste sounds fine to me. –  yms Jul 31 '12 at 16:40

but one the other hand je suis touriste doesn't sound unfine –  Joubarc Aug 1 '12 at 9:24
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

It depends on what you want to say.

It's perfectly acceptable to say : "Je suis touriste ici", meaning that you have a "tourist" status, as opposition to a "resident" status. However, this is really situational, and the most commonly used sentence is "Je suis un touriste".

share|improve this answer
add comment

As far as I know, touriste is a noun not an adjective. So "je suis un touriste" should be preferred in my opinion.
It can also be used as adverb in "en touriste".

Je suis touriste doesn't use touriste as adjective, compare with je suis avocat –  Joubarc Aug 1 '12 at 9:25

On the other hand, I agree with you on Je suis ici en touriste being a very valid alternative –  Joubarc Aug 1 '12 at 9:27

@Joubarc, agreed on the rationale. Still, I find "je suis touriste" not sounding as natural to me as "je suis un touriste" (probably because I don't find touriste being a qualifying enough characteristic). YMMV... –  François Aug 1 '12 at 18:26
add comment

@Al_th, that's funny. For me it's the opposite.

"Je suis touriste." perfectly fits the situation.

"Je suis un touriste." is more used to tease poeple, to say that you're some kind of amateur, beginner or something. For instance, if I play badly soccer/football, my friends will tell me "T'es un touriste!". Just teasing for fun.

So if you say "Je suis un touriste" to someone in France (I don't know about Quebec), I think people will laugh a little.

I disagree (and I'm French). “Je suis un touriste” means what it says on the tin. “T'es un touriste” sounds strange. For me, while touriste can be disparaging, it specifically means unprepared, not generally bad at a particular endeavor. And there is no possible confusion between the derogatory meaning and the literal meaning. –  Gilles Jul 31 '12 at 23:13

I, too, find Je suis un touriste as possibly understood with a slight amusement. But let's be honest : here it strongly depends on what we feel like about touring. Both ways seem acceptable, actually. –  Romain VALERI Jul 31 '12 at 23:53

The "T'es un touriste" is actually totally right, and is indeed used to tease in this specific context. However, i feel that this is more of a young people way to tease. I don't remember old people ever said this to me. –  Al_th Aug 1 '12 at 8:17
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.