Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am a French language beginner from India. When I introduce myself, how do I say "I am an Indian" or "I am from India"? The books I learn from are giving for other nationalities but not mine. I need some help.

share|improve this question

Follow-up question: Je viens d'Inde or Je viens de l'Inde? (Mind that neither is very idiomatic, je suis originaire d'Inde (or de l'Inde?) is better.) –  Gilles Sep 13 '13 at 18:07
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 13 down vote accepted

You can go with many sentences like:

• Je suis indien (indienne for the feminine) [I am an Indian]
  • Je viens d'Inde [I come from India]
  • Je suis originaire d'Inde [~= I am from India]
  • Je suis né(e) en Inde [I was born in India]

And if you are still a citizen of India:

• Je suis de nationalité Indienne [I have Indian nationality]
  • Je suis citoyen(ne) d'Inde [I am a citizen of India]
share|improve this answer
Thank you Mvy and @Alexis –  coral jasmine Aug 22 '12 at 11:54

What about «Je vien de l'Inde»? –  Abhimanyu Arora Aug 21 '13 at 9:30

@AbhimanyuArora When I read Je viens de l'Inde, I initially corrected to Je viens d'Inde. Then I thought again and agreed with Je viens de l'Inde. Then I thought some more and became confused. –  Gilles Sep 13 '13 at 18:06
add comment

You can either use "Je suis indien / indienne", or, if you want to avoid confusion with Native Americans, "Je viens d'Inde".

add comment

"Je viens de l'Inde" is what has been taught to me

Sorry but Je viens de l'Inde is incorrect in French. –  Zistoloen Sep 19 '13 at 13:49
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.