French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am a French language beginner from India. When I introduce myself, how do I say "I am an Indian" or "I am from India"? The books I learn from are giving for other nationalities but not mine. I need some help.

share|improve this question
Follow-up question: Je viens d'Inde or Je viens de l'Inde? (Mind that neither is very idiomatic, je suis originaire d'Inde (or de l'Inde?) is better.) – Gilles Sep 13 '13 at 18:07

5 Answers 5

up vote 13 down vote accepted

You can go with many sentences like:

• Je suis indien (indienne for the feminine) [I am an Indian]
  • Je viens d'Inde [I come from India]
  • Je suis originaire d'Inde [~= I am from India]
  • Je suis né(e) en Inde [I was born in India]

And if you are still a citizen of India:

• Je suis de nationalité Indienne [I have Indian nationality]
  • Je suis citoyen(ne) d'Inde [I am a citizen of India]
share|improve this answer
Thank you Mvy and @Alexis – coral jasmine Aug 22 '12 at 11:54
What about «Je vien de l'Inde»? – Abhimanyu Arora Aug 21 '13 at 9:30
@AbhimanyuArora When I read Je viens de l'Inde, I initially corrected to Je viens d'Inde. Then I thought again and agreed with Je viens de l'Inde. Then I thought some more and became confused. – Gilles Sep 13 '13 at 18:06

You can either use "Je suis indien / indienne", or, if you want to avoid confusion with Native Americans, "Je viens d'Inde".

"Je viens de l'Inde" is what has been taught to me

Sorry but Je viens de l'Inde is incorrect in French. – Zistoloen Sep 19 '13 at 13:49

certainly do NOT say Je suis d'Inde although I fancy je suis de l;Inde is not impossible. There is I think a tendency to say "de l'Inde" rather than "d'Inde" (with venir too) because of what you might call the "turkey" factor.

Absolutely not true. "De l'Inde" is not correct, and generaly "de + le" does not exist. "De + le" = "du", and "de + l' " = "d' ". So definitely say "d'Inde". And what are you calling the "turkey" factor ? – Guillaume Fache Apr 23 at 11:41
"d'Inde" sounds like "dinde", which is the word for "turkey". At least, that's what I think he meant to say. – Paul Picard Apr 27 at 11:40

Au Québec, on a inventé le terme "Amérindien" (Indien d'Amérique) ce qui, théoriquement, devrait empêcher la confusion entre les deux provenances possibles pour les "Indiens". Mais ce terme n'est pas utilisé par tous. À remarquer, que plusieurs utilisent à mauvais escient "Hindou" alors qu'ils veulent parler des "Indiens de l'Inde".

+1 for daring to mention the continued misuse of “Hindou” in this context. Even my trusty “Le Robert” (granted, the 1998 edition) makes this over-generalization by blanketly equating India, Indians, and all things indian to the civilization and practitioners of Brahmanism under its entry for “hindou/e.” Although perhaps not as ‘dated’ (read offensive) as the inclusion of “Peaux-Rouges” under its entry for “indien/ne,” I do take it as another sign that it’s obviously time for me to get a new edition, just as it’s obviously long overdue for the Washington Redskins to get a new name. – Papa Poule Apr 22 at 13:34

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.