Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Suppose I'm to live in France, working there. How big a vocabulary shall I have, or, how many words shall I know, in order to be able to survive there? I know this question is a bit vague, but please just try give some ball-park number? 2000? 5000? 10000?

What I meant with "survive":

When I first went abroad from China, my English was barely enough to "survive". For example, I sometimes forgot to use "stamp", instead I will ask post office officers "How can I buy some post ticket?"

So this survive, is just to live for basic needs, buying apparels, going to a restaurant, rent a flat, take transportations, and of course, work.

As I was just a VB programmer, working is also manageable with a limited vocabulary — I'm not a salesman or product owner that need talk to customers everyday.

Hope this explains my "concept" of "survive"…

share|improve this question
This question is far too vague. How do you define "in order to survive"? –  Alexis Pigeon Sep 22 '12 at 12:43
add comment

closed as not a real question by Un francophone, Romain VALERI, Alexis Pigeon, Kareen, Evpok Sep 23 '12 at 13:36

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 0 down vote accepted

to be there and just live 2000 to work there 5000-8000 this depends on your profession!

share|improve this answer

merci beaucoup ! :) –  athos Sep 23 '12 at 12:15
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.