Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to learn French. Can anyone suggest videos where you can learn French for free? A brief search throws up videos from Americans who have studied French for only a couple years. I am trying to learn from someone who has a genuine French accent. Any ideas?

share|improve this question

Do you want a video lecture, or a movie ? –  oli Oct 23 '12 at 14:56

I am in the same situation, I've been watching french preschool programs on You Tube and reading preschool books too. –  BanksySan Oct 23 '12 at 15:12

I think @oli mentions a good hint. I, personally, consider movies more helpful than video lectures since situations, conversations and such are more natural than in lectures or tutorials. –  Em1 Oct 23 '12 at 15:28
add comment

1 Answer

If you are really serious (meaning you can stick with it), I suggest French In Action (FIA), which can be found on YouTube and other places, including here at learner.org. It consists of a total of 52 half-hour episodes, for 26 hours of language immersion. It is well worth going through them all.

If you know absolutely no French, you should look into Rosetta Stone to get acquainted with the language. Unfortunately, it is not free. Even with Rosetta Stone, I recommend FIA.

share|improve this answer

I used Pimsleur as complementary listen-only course when I started studying French. It was nice for walking around listening to the lessons. It is really basic though, a "bonjour, comment allez-vous" kind of course. –  yms Oct 29 '12 at 19:54
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.