Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If an equivalent exists. Or if it doesn't, would a native French speaker find it at all difficult to pronounce the name "Felix"? If yes, is there a similar name that is more natural?

share|improve this question

Where would you say that name is from ? –  Nikana Reklawyks Nov 29 '12 at 17:07

@NikanaReklawyks Actually, it comes from Latin. –  Kareen Nov 29 '12 at 17:11
@Kareen : The thing is once we know it comes from latin, I don't really understand how French speakers would have any difficulty at pronouncing it. Hence maybe it's a lot more common elsewhere, which would be more what my question was about, le cas échéant. –  Nikana Reklawyks Nov 29 '12 at 19:35
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Félicien came to my mind, if you really want to change it. Félix is perfectly pronouncable for French people though, and not uncommon as a first name.

According to this page, for men, Félix and Félicien are both coming from the latin felix, so any of both would do.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Felix comes from Latin, meaning "happy". Félix is the French version (~fay-leeks or [feɪliks] in English IPA).

It's a fairly common name, though according to Wikipedia, more popular in Quebec than in Europe. You get a lot of hits if you google it.

share|improve this answer
Well one would probably sound fay-licks as ['feɪ.lɪks], which not quite the same as [fe.liks] in French. –  Stéphane Gimenez Nov 29 '12 at 22:51

Ah, yes, my licks is a little off, thanks. –  Kareen Nov 29 '12 at 23:04
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.