Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would like to know how to translate “so to speak” in French. So far, the only thing I can come up with is disons que.

share|improve this question

There are on line tools to answer this type of questions. Reverso, Wiktionary, Linguee. French Language and usage isn't a dictionary. –  Laure Dec 23 '12 at 6:28
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 8 down vote accepted

"So to speak" means "pour ainsi dire".

share|improve this answer
add comment

«c'est à dire» would be the correct way if you think about how to convey the same idea (instead of word to word translation) from English to French.

Yeah, that makes sense too. I don't know why I never thought of that before. –  Simon_eQ Dec 1 '13 at 19:40
add comment

The correct translation is

Façon de parler

Which would be the literal translation for “way to speak”.

Example:

Je suis bien meilleur joueur de tennis que lui, je vais le détruire ! Enfin, façon de parler.

+1. Ajoutons la variante légèrement moins courante manière de dire. –  Romain VALERI Dec 24 '12 at 10:00
Depending on the level of language you have to use Pour ainsi dire is a bit more formal, and Facon de parler more familiar. I would avoid using the later in an official context. –  TonioElGringo Jan 2 '13 at 12:15
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.