How would I say “with basin-like characteristics” in French?

I have something along the lines of “avec des caractéristiques comme un bassin” but I find it very ugly and unappealing. Anything better?

Some context:

With nearly 10 km of uninterrupted flatwater, consistent depth and basin-like characteristics, as well as some of the most placid and beautiful flatwater in the world, the canal is a wonderful place to host an event.

In oral speech with people I'm familiar with (and who understand English), I tend to keep the “machin-like” form in French, for concision. Good question ! Jan 27, 2013 at 3:37

2 Answers 2

English

Some suffixes in English are derived from its Germanic base.
-like is one of those suffixes (German: -lich, Dutch: -lijk)

Words of this nature do not translate easily into French.

French

French co-incidentally possess no such affix that performs a similar process as -like does in English. Therefore utterances containing such constructions in English must be altered in French much like how you already translated … with basin-like characteristics.

Examples:

1. with childlike characteristics → avec des caractéristiques enfantines
  2. with soldier-like poise → avec un maintien soldatesque
  3. with ball-like shape → avec la forme d'une balle

Explanation

If the word has an appropriate adjective form, then use that. Otherwise use example 3 to formulate the translation.

Additionally, using a construction “avec le [qualified characteristic]” only feels right to me as an adverbial prepositional phrase.

• Thanks for the nice breakdown. I'll edit my post to add some context.
    – n0pe
    Jan 26, 2013 at 18:03

If the noun has an corresponding adjective in French, chances are that it will suit your needs best. Un lieu paradisiaque is a heaven-like place.

Otherwise, I belive “qui ressemble à [un bassin]” is the most lightweight general approach.

In the specific context you gave, I'd go for “aux allures de bassin”.

Oh, I like "aux allures" and I think it fits quite well. Thanks
    – n0pe
    Jan 26, 2013 at 18:07
    "aux allures de bassin" absolutely expresses exactly what the sentence in English says. This means in English something along the lines of "... with the captivating qualities of a basin". It simply implies that these qualities are generally positive ... and alluring :).
    – Sean
    Jan 26, 2013 at 18:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.