French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In English we call a word originally from a foreign language a "borrowing" or "loanword". What is/are the French term(s) for words that came into French from another language?

Also, is there a word specific for words which came into French from English, such as "Anglicism"?

share|improve this question
Wikipedia is usually a good way of translating technical terms. Borrowing (en) → Loanword (en) → emprunt lexical (fr). – Gilles Aug 25 '11 at 23:18
anglicisme!!! (just kidding) Maybe "mot d'emprunt"? – Dave Aug 26 '11 at 0:34
The question title has been dumbed down and is no longer what I asked. I primarily wanted to know the French term for borrowing or loanword to use in question tags here. I wanted to know if there was a further more specific word for borrowings from English as a side question. – hippietrail Aug 26 '11 at 7:21
up vote 11 down vote accepted

One would say emprunter et emprunt for to borrow and borrowing / loanword. And anglicisme is the carbon-copy of anglicism.

share|improve this answer
Am I correct to assume emprunt is the noun for either and emprunter is the verb to borrow? – hippietrail Aug 25 '11 at 22:09
@hippietrail You are, I'll edit my answer to make it more obvious. – Evpok Aug 25 '11 at 22:12
And that's what the TLF says too, see for example the entry for sandwich: where it says "Empr. à l'angl. sandwich" ("Emprunté à l'anglais sandwich") – Joubarc Aug 26 '11 at 7:08
Un emprunt, moi aussi je suis tout à fait d'accord @hippietrail. – livresque Apr 9 '13 at 5:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.